Monday, October 8, 2007

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Let's face it, Jean-Dominque Bauby, the former editor of the French magazine, Elle, and the author of The Diving Bell and the Butterfly really didn't have the ideal last year of his life. From the time of his stroke in December to his death nearly a year later, there really isn't anything worse then him having been diagnosed with "locked in disease". With this disease Bauby had no movement what-so-ever except being able to blink his left eye, and really how much worse can it get? Though through out the book, Bauby tended not to focus on the negatives of his limited life, but instead to focus on the beauty of the mind and the eloquence of thought.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly was, to me, touching but at the same time made me long to reach out to help Bauby even though there is nothing we can do now. His book will always amaze me in the fact that he took the time to blink out every word in his memior. This goes to show the determination that we all have inside us. I believe that Bauby wanted to write this book as his one last project of his life, to have this book to always be remembered with.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book though the ending left me unsatisfied. What I would have wanted is more of a conclusion to his work, and his life instead of leaving with just a subtle "See you later.." kind of ending. There are many things that i wish had been included like more of what his life was as a child or his relationship with his career. I would like to say that I pity Bauby, but really pity sounds more as if I am looking down on him when really I look up to his ever-hopeful spirit and his dauntlessness against fate.

No comments: